Identify the advantages of matrix structures.
The main benefits of matrix structures rest with the teams whose members work closely together to share expertise and information in a timely manner to solve problems. The potential advantages of matrix structures include:
• Better cooperation across functions.
• Improved decision making; problem solving takes place at the team level where the best information is available.
• Increased flexibility in adding, removing, or changing operations to meet changing demands.
• Better customer service; there is always a program, product, or project manager informed and available to answer questions.
• Better performance accountability through the program, product, or project managers.
• Improved strategic management; top managers are freed from lower-level problem solving to focus more time on strategic issues.
Source: Management, 11th Edition & 12th Edition- John R. Schermerhorn